Healthy Halloween Recipes
Candy is the designated ‘treat’ for the month of October, but if you’re watching your weight, the last thing you want to do is eat a whole bunch of sweets.
Thursday morning, Linda McLean with Weight Watchers is visiting FOX8 to show how to have a healthier Halloween.
Below are the recipes she talked about:
Baked Candy Apples
- PointsPlus® Value: 5
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5 min.
- Cooking Time: 40 min.
Like the classic but with a delicious caramel-candy twist:
- 4 medium apple(s), unpeeled, Granny Smith recommended
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 average cinnamon stick(s)
- 7 piece(s) Weight Watchers by Whitman’s Pecan crowns, or caramel medallions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a melon baller or paring knife, de-stem and core each apple, leaving the bottoms intact.
- Place cored apples in an 8-inch glass baking dish. Pour water around apples in baking dish. Add lemon juice and cinnamon sticks.
- Cut candy into 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside 8 teaspoons of candy pieces. Place remaining candy pieces into each apple.
- Place apples in oven and bake until apples are thoroughly cooked and fork-tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven briefly and top each apple with 2 teaspoons candy. Return to oven and bake until candy is just melted, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove promptly and serve warm. Yields 1 baked apple per serving.
- Notes: For extra low-calorie decadence, add a dollop of fat-free whipped topping to each apple before serving (could affect PointsPlus values).
Candy Corn Custard Parfait
1 Serving 4 PointsPlus Values
- 1 Jell-O Sugar Free Vanilla Pudding Snack
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 1/3 cup mandarin orange segments in juice, drained
- 1/4 cup Cool Whip Free, thawed
- 5 pieces candy corn
In a small bowl or parfait glass, combine pudding with food coloring and mix until uniform in color.
Top evenly first with orange segments and then with Cool Whip
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault