What is the FOX8 Bully Project?
The statistics are amazing. 1 in 4 kids get bullied. 160 thousand kids stayed home from school today because they were afraid of a bully. A child is bullied every 7 minutes.
Starting Tuesday Oct. 23, FOX8 will take on The FOX8 Bully Project. We will be doing stories related to bullying, talking to victims and parents, as well as police and schools.
Our stories will cover cyber bullying as well as local groups dedicated to stopping bullying.
Join us throughout the month of November for The FOX8 Bully Project.
- More than 160,000 U.S. students stay home from school each day from fear of being bullied.
- Bullying directly affects a student’s ability to learn. Students who are bullied find it difficult to concentrate, show a decline in grades, and lose self-esteem, self-confidence, and self-worth.
- Students who are bullied report more physical symptoms, such as headaches or stomachaches, and mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety, than other students.
- In some cases, bullying has led to devastating consequences, such as school shootings and suicide.
- Bullying affects witnesses as well as targets. Witnesses often report feeling unsafe, helpless, and afraid that they will be the next target.
- Bullying is a communitywide issue that must no longer be ignored or thought of as a rite of passage. Students, parents, and educators all have a role in addressing bullying situations and changing school culture.
- The two keys to creating change are: increasing awareness that bullying has lifelong impact, and giving people the tools they need to respond effectively.
- Students can be especially effective in bullying intervention. More than 55 percent of bullying situations will stop when a peer intervenes. Student education of how to address bullying for peers is critical, as is the support of adults.
- Silence is no longer an acceptable response to bullying. Adults, students, and educators can no longer look away when they see bullying. Ignoring it won’t work. Everyone needs to be empowered with options to respond.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting