Seven-term State Sen. Don East dies after surgery
SURRY COUNTY, N.C. — Officials said seven-term State Sen. Don East died Monday morning after complications from back and hip surgery.
East, 67, represented Surry, Alleghany, Stokes and Yadkin counties in the North Carolina senate.
He was facing a challenge for the 30th District seat in November’s election from Democrat Ric Marshall.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault