Winston-Salem ranks sixth in best places to retire list
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Winston-Salem was named the sixth best place to retire in the U.S., according to a list released Tuesday by CNNMoney.com.
The city moved up four spots from its No. 10 ranking in the 2011 list. Winston-Salem was once again the only North Carolina city ranked, and it was one of only eight cities to repeat from the 2011 list.
Albuquerque,N.M. jumped to the top spot from No. 21 last year.
The website’s list puts a premium on the cost of living, home prices and low taxes and things for retirees to do.
The methodology led to a number of seemingly unusual choices, including Danville, Ky., Fredericksburg, Texas, and Sevierville, Tenn.
Read more: The Winston-Salem Journal.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it