Police: Couple gave teen alcohol before fatal wreck
WHITEVILLE, N.C. — Authorities say a Whiteville couple has been arrested after they served alcohol to an underage driver who was later involved in a fatal crash.
Investigators said 47-year-old Lisa Caffee is charged with giving alcoholic beverages to a person younger than 21, while 51-year-old Ronnie Caffee is charged with aiding and abetting in the underage possession and consumption of alcohol.
Authorities say the couple gave the alcohol to 19-year-old Nicholas Wilkinson at a party at their house. After the teen left, he crashed his car near Chadbourn, killing his 21-year-old passenger.
The Highway Patrol charged Wilkinson with felony death by motor vehicle and DWI. Troopers say he was driving 98 mph when he wrecked.
A phone listing for the couple was disconnected. It wasn’t known if they had an attorney.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home