Child dies from E. Coli outbreak at NC county fair
SHELBY, N.C. — North Carolina health officials say a child has died from an E. coli infection contracted at the Cleveland County Fair.
The Department of Health and Human Services announced the death Saturday. Fourteen children and six adults who attended the fair have gotten sick with the bacteria.
Health officials continue to investigate to determine the source of this E. Coli outbreak. The bacteria are found in the waste of animals, and people who touch contaminated material such as food or animals can transfer the bacteria to their mouths or to other people.
Cleveland County Fair director Calvin Hastings says the fair tried to prevent E. coli problems by adding hand-washing stations and moving food vendors farther away from animals.
The name of the child who died was not released.
Credit: The Associated Press.