Wilkes County man withdraws plea in child abuse case
Jacob Andrew Minton, 28, of Millers Creek in Wilkes County. (The Winston-Salem Journal)
WILKES COUNTY, N.C. — A Wilkes County man initially pleaded guilty Friday to charges that he tried to kill his girlfriend’s infant daughter last year in Brenner Children’s Hospital, but later changed his mind and withdrew his plea.
Jacob Andrew Minton, 28, of Millers Creek in Wilkes County, agreed to plead guilty to 11 counts of attempted first-degree murder and four counts of aggravated assault on a handicapped person.
Minton entered the plea in front of Judge Gary Gavenus of Forsyth Superior Court. He was facing 13 years to 16 years in prison.
Minton is accused of trying to kill the 2-year-old girl who had been flown to Brenner from Wilkes County on March 27, 2011, with a skull fracture and blood on the brain. At that time, Minton was dating the girl’s mother.
Read full story: The Winston-Salem Journal.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Silver Alert issued for woman missing from Winston-Salem
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k