Zane Willard of Kernersville won 1st Place in the Karo Syrup “Perfect Pie & Dessert Contest” at this year’s Dixie Classic Fair.
Below is the recipe for Willard’s Mocha Pecan Pie:
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 cup Karo Light Corn Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch pie pan. Spread out pie crust into plate and fold/crimp edges. Pour filling into the crust. Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Stir in cocoa, cream and espresso powder. Pour into large bowl, add Karo syrup, sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt; whisk until well blended. Fold in the pecans. Bake for 1 hour or until puffed and set. May garnish with whip cream and a dusting of cocoa powder.