Jury awards NC couple $1.7M in unborn son’s death
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A jury has awarded a Charlotte couple $1.7 million in a lawsuit against a local restaurant in connection with a head-on collision that killed the couple’s unborn son.
Attorneys for Matt and Meredith Eastridge say 25-year-old David Canter Huffman was speeding in his Volvo on Oct. 29, 2010, when the car crossed the center line and hit Matt Eastridge’s Toyota RAV4.
Police say Huffman died in the crash, as did the Eastridges’ unborn son. Meredith Eastridge was a front-seat passenger and was six months pregnant. The attorneys say Huffman had been drinking at Eddie’s Place, and that his blood alcohol content was 0.23, nearly three times the legal limit in North Carolina.
A telephone message left for the attorney representing the restaurant wasn’t immediately returned Thursday.
Source: The Associated Press
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- The Ultimate Warrior's cause of death revealed in autopsy