Salvation Army taking applications for Christmas assistance
LEXINGTON, N.C. — The Salvation Army will begin taking applications for Christmas assistance as early as next week.
“So many people are in need right now,” Melissa Blackburn with The Salvation Army of Davidson County said.
Blackburn said her office is getting prepared earlier this year due to the expected increase in need.
“Last year, we almost doubled the amount of children that we served the year before for Christmas assistance,” Blackburn said.
The Davidson County office helped more 1,600 children last year. This year they expect to help around 2,000 children.
“Lot of people who were getting unemployment, their unemployment has run out … and they haven’t been able to get another job,” Blackburn said.
Phone numbers for local Salvation Army offices:
- Asheboro — (336) 625-0551
- Burlington — (336) 227-5529
- Davidson County — (336) 596-8148
- Greensboro — (336) 273-5572
- High Point — (336) 881-5400
- Winston-Salem — (336) 723-6366
- Mount Airy — (336) 786-4075
- Rockingham County — (336) 349-4923
- Eden — (336) 627-4177
- Statesville — (704) 872-5623
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault