U.S. 52 North at University Parkway in Winston-Salem to close
RALEIGH, N.C. — Officials with the North Carolina Department of Transportation said they will close U.S. 52 North at Exit 115 (University Parkway) in Winston-Salem from 8 p.m. Saturday to 2 p.m. Monday.
Officials said it is necessary to allow crews to perform preservation work on the bridge over the Norfolk Southern Railroad north of Hanes Mill Road.
Authorities said crews will remove the asphalt from the driving surface of the bridge and then use high-powered jets of water to remove any deteriorated concrete.
Once the hydro-demolition process is complete, crews will place a layer of latex-modified concrete on the bridge’s surface. These enhancements will improve the ride quality for motorists, as well as help the 50-year-old bridge last longer by sealing and protecting the pavement from water damage.
While the work is under way, NCDOT will install a tapered closure on U.S. 52 North to help traffic continue to flow safely and smoothly around the work zone.
Just south of Exit 115 (University Parkway), the department will close the left lane of the highway. At Exit 115 (University Parkway), crews will close the right lane, completely shutting down the road.
At that point, U.S. 52 North traffic must take the following detour route:
- Take Exit 115A (University Parkway North);
- Follow University Parkway North for 1.5 miles to the access road for U.S. 52 North;
- Turn left onto the access road for U.S. 52 North; and
- Continue onto U.S. 52 North.
Drivers wanting to access University Parkway South should take Exit 115B.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave