NC governor race heats up over racial accusations
Democrat Walter Dalton and Republican Pat McCrory (left to right)
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Republican Pat McCrory says North Carolina politics have reached a new low after a video released by Democratic gubernatorial rival Walter Dalton accuses the former Charlotte mayor of being insensitive to black residents.
McCrory told The Associated Press in an interview Thursday that Dalton should be “shameful” for approving such a video, which was emailed to Dalton supporters, It may turn into a television ad by the campaign’s end.
The video includes several black speakers. Former state civil rights group president Skip Alston accuses McCrory of not understanding the African American experience in North Carolina. The voices refer indirectly to McCrory’s support for bills requiring photo identification to vote and cuts to education.
Dalton and his allies have spent this week attempting to raise questions about McCrory and race.
This article was provided by The Associated Press. (Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview