New “spreading pansy” hits market for fall planting
KING, N.C. – The pansy is one of the most popular fall plants. This year, gardeners will have a new variety called Cool Wave.
“Pansies are a wonderful flower to plant this time of year to have color throughout the winter,” said Jim Mitchell with Mitchell’s Nursery in King.
The nursery has over 100,000 pansies including the Cool Wave, a spreading pansy.
“It’s supposed to have 24 to 30 inches of spread so you can space these out 3 or 4 times more than your standard pansy,” said Mitchell who believes the new variety will do well in hanging baskets, large pots and bedding.
“It doesn’t have a giant bloom but you’ll have more blooms, so over all color should be better,” said Mitchell.
Fall is also the best time to plant shrubs and to aerate and seed your lawn.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave