NC trooper killed trying to end high-speed chase
SPRING HOPE, N.C. — A state Highway Patrol trooper is dead after being struck by a car while he tried to deploy stop sticks during a high-speed chase that covered parts of Wake and Nash counties.
Highway Patrol officials say Trooper Bobby G. Demuth was struck and killed Saturday morning near Spring Hope.
Raleigh Police Department officers had tried to stop a 1995 Nissan 200SX on U.S. 64 eastbound in Wake County. When the chase continued into Nash County, authorities said Demuth was struck and killed as he tried to deploy stop sticks.
A 40-year-old man from Williamston was taken into custody.
Demuth was a 12-year veteran stationedin Rocky Mount.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k