Local Special Olympics golfer going for another gold
EAST BEND, N.C. — A local golfer is headed to the Nationals tournament in Arizona to represent Forsyth County and the entire state of North Carolina.
Special Olympic athlete Matthew Smitherman and alternate shot partner Lawrence Blume will head to the tournament on Thursday.
Smitherman, who’s been competing in the Special Olympics for five years, will be attempting to score his third Gold Medal.
Though he has Cerebral Palsy, Smitherman refuses to let his disability hold him back.
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- Kids react to a Walkman, make everyone feel old