BROWNS SUMMIT, N.C. -- No serious injuries were reported after two teenagers said they were struck by lightning while checking on a dog in Browns Summit.
18-year-old Kristen Pugh and her 17-year-old friend said they were stopping by a house because they knew the dog, Sadie, is scared of storms.
Pugh said the lightning struck in a flash and doesn't even know how to describe it.
She said they were struggling to get a handle on Sadie and they were holding a metal latch at the end of a leash.
"He's holding her, I'm holding this and he's holding this and then I just saw something bright come and then we felt a shock she yelped and runs off," Pugh said.
Pugh said she thinks the bolt struck an overhead wire and came down through the metal latch and zapped both of them and Sadie.
"I was just straight up crying out of shock and scared and everything," she said. "He's holding her, I'm holding this and he's holding this and then I just saw something bright come and then we felt a shock she yelped and runs off."
The two teens are okay, but hours later Pugh said she is still a little shaken up. A 9-year-old neighbor brought Sadie home.
"I had a tingling. I still have the tingling up my arm. It's not as bad as it was. It's tingling up here and it was hurting up here."
Pugh is out of the hospital. Her 17-year-old friend stayed overnight so doctors could monitor him just to be safe.
"People get struck all the time and get killed or get severely hurt, so I'm glad me and him are okay," Pugh said.