Recipe Wednesday: Fun, easy desserts
Shannon Smith was at Pepper Moon Catering in Greensboro showing us how to make fun and easy desserts.
To find out what else Pepper Moon Catering offers, check out this site: http://www.peppermooncatering.com/
What you will need:
Favorite Brownie Mix made according to directions
Pans or bowls
1 1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips (use pure chocolate chips) 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
Put mixture in microwave proof bowl
Heat on defrost setting until melted and smooth. Stir often.
Scoop brownie mixture into melon scoop. Drop balls on parchment paper. Insert sticks. Dip brownie on stick in dipping chocolate and place on sprinkles until cool.
Refrigerate and serve.
Day-old Yeast-y (not cake) donuts (1 dozen) or donut holes (36-count)
Fresh whipped cream, made by directions
1 cup sliced strawberries
½ cup blueberries
Slice donuts across, like a sandwich.
Place whipped cream (or can use whipped cream flavored with cream cheese as thicker, richer option) on bottom half.
Top with any combination candies or fruit.
Place top back on donut.
Drizzle with choice of sauce.
Yields 12 servings.
Note: Recommend variety, playing with flavors.
Wilton Royal Icing
3 tablespoons Meringue Powder Easy-
4 cups confectioners’ sugar sifted
6 tablespoons warm water
Icing serves about 3 cups.
Beat all ingredients until icing forms a peak (7-10 minutes at low speed with a heavy-duty mixer, 10-12 minutes at high speed with a hand-held mixer).
Keep all utensils completely grease-free for proper icing consistency.
When using large counter-top mixer or for stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.
Add desired color gel.
You will need:
Prepared Rice Krispies Treats as per instructions
4 Fruit Roll-ups
Candy of choice (Recommended: gummy bears, Swedish Fish)
– Press the marshmallow mixture onto the sheet, distributing it evenly.
- Starting at one side an inch up from the lower edge, place gummy worms atop the mixture end to end in a horizontal line.
- Gently roll the lower edge of the marshmallow mixture over the gummy worms.
- Then stop and cut the log away from the rest of the mixture.
- Use the same method to form 4 more logs.
- Slice each log into 1 inch thick”sushi” rolls and wrap them individually with a strip of fruit leather.
Sauteed Rum Bananas
3 fresh bananas, sliced into disks about 1/4-inch thick
½ stick butter
½ cup brown sugar
3 T rum
Pound cake wedges, 6 slices (we prefer Raspberry Swirl Pound Cake from Spring Garden Bakery)
Whipped cream, made according to directions, or may use Cool Whip or canned whipped cream
Caramel sauce, storebrand is fine
Candied Pecans, recipe below
Warm sauté pan to medium high heat.
Add butter and allow to melt.
Once butter stops frothing add brown sugar and stir.
Add bananas until warm, continually stirring.
Add rum and stir.
Serve bananas over pound cake.
Top with whipped cream, caramel sauce and sprinkle with candied pecans.
Yields 6 servings.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants