Suspects arrested after Va. deputy shot, injured
GRAYSON CO., Va — Two people were arrested after officials said a deputy was shot in his stomach while responding to a domestic dispute Tuesday night in Grayson County.
Authorities said Grayson County deputies Douglas Waller and Kevin Watson responded to 3016 Skyline Highway Galax around 10:43 p.m. Officials said Waller was shot in the lower abdomen as he approached the door.
Both deputies took cover behind a vehicle in the driveway and Deputy Watson returned fire, officials said. Both suspects came out of the home with their hands raised within a few minutes, authorities said.
Waller was taken to Twin County Regional Hospital and flown to Wake Forest Baptist where he underwent surgery.
Deputies said his bullet proof vest turned the bullet down into his pelvis region. Officials said he is expected to make a full recovery.
Gary Frank Wheatley, 44, and Crystal Gooslin, 47, both of Galax, were arrested. Wheatley was charged with two counts of attempted capital murder and use of a firearm in commission of a felony. Gooslin is charged with possession of ammunition by a convicted felon.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave