More time for paperwork for comatose NC teen’s dad

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Freddie Lempe (taken from Facebook event "Pray For Freddie Lempe)

RALEIGH, N.C. — The father of a Smithfield teen who has been in a coma since a wreck last year has been given more time to file the paperwork to get Medicaid benefits.

A hearing officer decided Wednesday to give Frederick Lempe until July 25 to file the paperwork. The officer was considering a request to replace the father as guardian.

Eighteen-year-old Freddie Lempe has been in a coma at WakeMed’s Raleigh hospital since the wreck.

The hospital says Lempe was denied Medicaid coverage because his father failed to file the paperwork. His father says he’s gotten conflicting information from the Johnston County Department of Social Services about what was required.

His attorney says the hospital is moving too quickly to get a new guardian. WakeMed said it can’t talk about the details.

Credit: The Associated Press.