Weather service confirms EF1 tornado near NC coast
MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. — Authorities said a tornado spawned by the remnants of Tropical Depression Beryl destroyed three homes and damaged dozens of other buildings in Carteret County as the system moved off the North Carolina coast.
No injuries were reported.
The National Weather Service in Morehead City said a strong EF1 tornado with maximum winds of 110 mph struck near Peletier.
Carteret County Emergency Services Director Jo Ann Smith says the tornado hit late Wednesday morning as Beryl’s remains moved through the western part of the county.
Three mobile or modular homes were destroyed and another 67 were damaged, according to the weather service. Smith said some of the damage was minor.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview