Woman found shot outside elementary school in Chapel Hill has died
(Photo credit: WTVD-TV)
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Police say a woman that was found shot outside an elementary school in Chapel Hill Friday afternoon has died.
Police reported the identity of the victim has not been released, pending notification of the victim’s family members.
Responding officers found the victim suffering from multiple gunshot wounds outside Mary Scroggs Elementary School on Kildaire Road around 2 p.m., according to Chapel Hill police Sgt. Josh Mecimore.
The victim was taken to UNC Chapel Hill Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Mecimore said a suspect was stopped in a vehicle and arrested shortly after the shooting.
Police Chief Christopher Blue told WTVD-TV that the suspect was an adult male who was driving a car north on Highway 501 when he was stopped near Raleigh Road.
The school was locked down immediately after the shooting and remained on lockdown until the suspect was arrested, said Mecimore.
WTVD reports the lockdown lasted about one hour.
Mecimore said no school personnel or children were hurt.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- Randolph Co. middle school employee accused of sending obscene images to teenage girl
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k