Rowan Co. teacher suspended after video posted on YouTube
North Rowan High School (Nrhscavaliers.com)
SPENCER, N.C. — A teacher caught on video telling a student he could be arrested for speaking negatively of President Barack Obama was suspended Monday in Rowan County.
The Salisbury Post reported that Social Studies Teacher Tanya Dixon-Neely told her students at North Rowan High School they could be jailed for criticizing Obama.
The video is nearly 10 minutes long and has gone viral on YouTube, with more than 178,000 views as of Monday afternoon. It was posted one week ago.
“Do you realize that people were arrested for saying things bad about Bush?” she said in the video. “Do you realize you are not supposed to slander the president?”
Rowan-Salisbury school officials said Dixon-Neely has been suspended with pay.
Read more: The Salisbury Post.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault