Rowan Co. teacher suspended after video posted on YouTube
North Rowan High School (Nrhscavaliers.com)
SPENCER, N.C. — A teacher caught on video telling a student he could be arrested for speaking negatively of President Barack Obama was suspended Monday in Rowan County.
The Salisbury Post reported that Social Studies Teacher Tanya Dixon-Neely told her students at North Rowan High School they could be jailed for criticizing Obama.
The video is nearly 10 minutes long and has gone viral on YouTube, with more than 178,000 views as of Monday afternoon. It was posted one week ago.
“Do you realize that people were arrested for saying things bad about Bush?” she said in the video. “Do you realize you are not supposed to slander the president?”
Rowan-Salisbury school officials said Dixon-Neely has been suspended with pay.
Read more: The Salisbury Post.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview