NC Treasurer Janet Cowell wins primary, GOP choosing
RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina Treasurer Janet Cowell is advancing from her party’s primary election as she works to keep the job responsible for overseeing $72 billion in public employee pension funds.
Coell beat primary opponent Ron Elmer in the Democratic primary on Tuesday. Elmer is an investment manager and accountant from Cary who said his experience would help him earn better investment returns than Cowell has achieved.
She will face Republican Steve Royal of Elkin or Frank Roche of Cary, who were contesting for the GOP nomination for state treasurer.
Royal is an accountant with his own practice. He ran in 1990 in the Republican primary for a congressional seat. Roche is a former foreign currency trader.
This article was provided by The Associated Press Wire. (Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview