Recipe: Tomato Gravy
1 cup yellow onion, diced small
1/4 cup bacon grease
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 cups canned tomato filets
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
Heat pot over medium heat and sauté onions in bacon grease until golden.
Add flour and continue stirring until “wet sand” appearance is achieved.
Add tomatoes and stir until warmed through.
Add chicken stock, spices and sugar; lower heat to simmer and simmer until flour taste is gone.
Add more stock if gravy becomes too thick.
Pulse with an immersion blender; desired consistency should be a chunky puree.
Makes – 1 quart
- Jeremy Mayfield's $1.3M mansion to be burned down
- Man tricked into thinking he's been in 10-year coma
- 13 arrested in drug busts in Yadkin County, surrounding counties
- Texas teen gets probation for deadly DWI collision with 'affluenza' defense
- $50M awarded over birth defect after test said baby would be OK