Recipe: Tomato Gravy
1 cup yellow onion, diced small
1/4 cup bacon grease
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 cups canned tomato filets
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
Heat pot over medium heat and sauté onions in bacon grease until golden.
Add flour and continue stirring until “wet sand” appearance is achieved.
Add tomatoes and stir until warmed through.
Add chicken stock, spices and sugar; lower heat to simmer and simmer until flour taste is gone.
Add more stock if gravy becomes too thick.
Pulse with an immersion blender; desired consistency should be a chunky puree.
Makes – 1 quart
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Silver Alert issued for woman missing from Winston-Salem
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k