NC pastor: Telling parents to punch children was joke
Berean Baptist Church pastor Sean Harris. (Credit: Bereanfayetteville)
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — A North Carolina pastor said he was joking when he told parents to punch any gay-appearing sons.
The Fayetteville Observer reported Berean Baptist Church pastor Sean Harris was preaching about marriage before next week’s vote on a state constitutional amendment that would make marriage between a man and a woman the only legal domestic union in the state.
Harris says he does not advocate hitting children and wishes he could take back a remark encouraging fathers to punch boys who act effeminately. But the Fayetteville pastor said parents should reinforce traditional gender roles in children.
The group Vote For Marriage NC urged church leaders to preach a marriage-themed sermon last Sunday and encourage church members to vote early this week in favor of the constitutional amendment.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault