Waitress killed in murder-suicide at Rocky Mount restaurant
Cynthia Jeanette Joyner (Photo courtesy: WTVD-TV)
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. — Rocky Mount police said the shooting death of a man and woman in a Rocky Mount restaurant appears to have been a murder-suicide.
According to WRAL-TV, Cynthia Jeanette Joyner, 41, was found shot to death at the Westridge Grill in a shopping center on Sunset Avenue around 11:30 a.m. Thursday. Police said she worked a waitress at the restaurant.
Shortly after officers arrived, they found Carlos Whitacker, 37, of Rocky Mount, dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound in a wooded area behind the restaurant, police said.
Police said Whitacker entered the restaurant as workers were preparing for the lunch rush, walked straight up to Joyner and shot her multiple times, WRAL reports.
Investigators did not say how Whitaker and Joyner were connected but called it a domestic situation.
One of Joyner’s sons told WRAL that Joyner and Whitaker were married, but had been estranged for the past few months.
A friend of the victim told the station described Joyner, a mother of four, as a “beautiful person.”
No other injuries were reported.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Silver Alert issued for woman missing from Winston-Salem
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k