Waitress killed in murder-suicide at Rocky Mount restaurant
Cynthia Jeanette Joyner (Photo courtesy: WTVD-TV)
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. — Rocky Mount police said the shooting death of a man and woman in a Rocky Mount restaurant appears to have been a murder-suicide.
According to WRAL-TV, Cynthia Jeanette Joyner, 41, was found shot to death at the Westridge Grill in a shopping center on Sunset Avenue around 11:30 a.m. Thursday. Police said she worked a waitress at the restaurant.
Shortly after officers arrived, they found Carlos Whitacker, 37, of Rocky Mount, dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound in a wooded area behind the restaurant, police said.
Police said Whitacker entered the restaurant as workers were preparing for the lunch rush, walked straight up to Joyner and shot her multiple times, WRAL reports.
Investigators did not say how Whitaker and Joyner were connected but called it a domestic situation.
One of Joyner’s sons told WRAL that Joyner and Whitaker were married, but had been estranged for the past few months.
A friend of the victim told the station described Joyner, a mother of four, as a “beautiful person.”
No other injuries were reported.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting