Man wanted for kidnapping in Florida arrested in NC
HAMLET, N.C. — Officials said a man wanted for armed robbery, sexual battery and kidnapping in Florida was arrested Wednesday in Hamlet.
Derek Maurice Smith, 29, was arrested around 11:15 a.m. by the U.S. Marshal Service Joint Fugitive Task Force.
Smith allegedly sexually assaulted, kidnapped and robbed a victim at knifepoint. Smith also has a communicating threat charge in Richmond County, N.C.
Smith remains in Richmond County Jail and is awaiting extradition back to Florida. Authorities said he was arrested after several law enforcement agencies tracked down his location.
The U.S. Marshals Service did not release further information about the case.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview