Driver dies in fiery tractor-trailer wreck on US 220
Chedwick Bungard, 31, of Spencer, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, which happened shortly before 4 a.m. on U.S. 220 South near Exit 78B, where the highway crosses under I-85.
Officials said the tractor-trailer was headed north on I-85 when it left the roadway, went off the bridge and crashed onto the southbound lanes of U.S. 220.
Police said all lanes of U.S. 220 South have reopened. Two lanes of I-85 South that were previously blocked have also reopened.
Hazardous Materials crews were among the many rescuers and transportation crews who responded to the scene.
The crash caused severe traffic delays as all lanes of U.S. 220 were closed in both directions until about 10:30 a.m. The two southbound lanes of I-85 were also closed due to flames from under the bridge that passes over the highway.
Officials said the tractor-trailer was hauling cardboard for Swing Transport.
Troopers are still investigating to learn why Bungard veered off the roadway.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting