Driver dies in fiery tractor-trailer wreck on US 220
Chedwick Bungard, 31, of Spencer, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, which happened shortly before 4 a.m. on U.S. 220 South near Exit 78B, where the highway crosses under I-85.
Officials said the tractor-trailer was headed north on I-85 when it left the roadway, went off the bridge and crashed onto the southbound lanes of U.S. 220.
Police said all lanes of U.S. 220 South have reopened. Two lanes of I-85 South that were previously blocked have also reopened.
Hazardous Materials crews were among the many rescuers and transportation crews who responded to the scene.
The crash caused severe traffic delays as all lanes of U.S. 220 were closed in both directions until about 10:30 a.m. The two southbound lanes of I-85 were also closed due to flames from under the bridge that passes over the highway.
Officials said the tractor-trailer was hauling cardboard for Swing Transport.
Troopers are still investigating to learn why Bungard veered off the roadway.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k