Cyclist killed in Summerfield crash
SUMMERFIELD, N.C. — A woman riding a bicycle on Brookbank Road in Summerfield died Friday after being struck by an SUV.
Trooper Greg Ingram said the driver of the SUV claimed she never saw Katherine Henriksen Shubert, 38, of Winston-Salem, as they both traveled west on the stretch of road east of Bunch Road about 7:10 p.m. Friday.
Shubert was thrown off the bicycle as a result of the crash. She was taken to Moses Cone Hospital, where she later died of her injuries, Ingram said.
No charges have been filed against the driver of the SUV. Ingram said that the driver told them the sun blinded her.
The Guilford County District Attorney’s office is now handling Shubert’s case.
Shubert was an avid triathlete and a CPA with RJ Reynolds. Her visitation will held from 6-8 p.m. at the Forbis and Dick Chapel in Greensboro.
The family is asking that, in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions be made to the Yield for Life organization.
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'