RALEIGH, N.C. — Some North Carolina residents with developmental disabilities will keep their Medicaid services for now because of an order from a federal judge.
The order from U.S. District Court Judge Louise Flanagan affects people in five Piedmont counties. She says the state didn’t properly alert patients to the changes.
Flanagan issued a preliminary injunction Thursday, directing state regulators and contractor Piedmont Behavioral Healthcare to restore services to patients to the level before the program was changed last year.
The program is designed to keep nearly 700 people in Rowan, Davidson, Stanly, Cabarrus and Union counties out of institutional care by providing home and community services to them. Several consumers sued last summer.
Credit: The Associated Press.
The judge says the state and the contractor didn’t meet federal notice and appeal requirements.