Uriel Alberto immigration hearing canceled, to be released on bond
RALEIGH, N.C. — Lawyers of a Winston-Salem man facing deportation said his immigration hearing has been canceled, and he will be released from custody soon.
Uriel Alberto was supposed to face an immigration judge in Charlotte on Thursday. However, Alberto’s attorney, Beckie Moriello, said Wednesday that the hearing had been canceled.
Joe DiPierro, Alberto’s state court lawyer, said he posted his $2,000 secured bond on state disorderly conduct charges after being arrested on Feb. 29. Alberto and two others were placed in the Wake County Jail for disrupting a meeting of the state House special committee on immigration.
A federal judge also approved his motion for bond on the federal immigration charges, DiPierro said. Bond there was set at $7,500, Moriello said.
As for when Alberto will be released, it could take as little as 24 hours or as long as several days for the immigration paperwork to be processed, Moriello said.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement still may deport Alberto to Mexico, but that decision won’t be made for another six months.
Alberto began a hunger strike in jail, which lasted for 10 days before he took a brief break after his mother became concerned. A group called El Cambio, which translates to The Change, started a hunger strike of their own in support of Alberto.