Driver dies in fiery tractor-trailer crash on I-40
CATAWBA COUNTY, N.C. — The driver of a tractor-trailer died in a fiery crash on I-40 East in western Catawba County early Tuesday morning.
State troopers said the wreck happened at Mile Marker 135 near Claremont shortly after 3:45 a.m. The tractor-trailer struck a bridge when the rig rolled over and caught fire, troopers said.
The identity of the driver has not been released.
The section of I-40 East near Oxford Street is currently closed as crews work to clear debris.
DOT officials said the road is expected to be closed until around 11 a.m.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting