Driver dies in fiery tractor-trailer crash on I-40
CATAWBA COUNTY, N.C. — The driver of a tractor-trailer died in a fiery crash on I-40 East in western Catawba County early Tuesday morning.
State troopers said the wreck happened at Mile Marker 135 near Claremont shortly after 3:45 a.m. The tractor-trailer struck a bridge when the rig rolled over and caught fire, troopers said.
The identity of the driver has not been released.
The section of I-40 East near Oxford Street is currently closed as crews work to clear debris.
DOT officials said the road is expected to be closed until around 11 a.m.
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home