Choosing the best frequent flyer program
With many starting to plan their big summer trip, FOX8 On Your Side Consumer Reporter Melissa Painter has some tips on how to save money on your flight.
“Frequent flyer programs – use them! They can save you a lot of money,” said Painter.
Some of the best programs have no black out dates and very few restrictions.
Southwest Airlines’ Rapid Rewards programs allows customers to use points on flights, rental cars, hotels and gift cards.
“JetBlue’s TrueBlue program allows customers to use points for one-way flights and there are almost always good seats available,” said Painter.
Delta’s SkyMiles program has partnered with Fed Ex and Fidelity. If you open a brokerage account with Fidelity, you can earn enough bonus miles for two flights.
“The point is, check out the programs. Do the research,” said Painter.
After you figure out which frequent flyer program you will use, when should you buy the ticket?
“You should buy the ticket about six weeks before and be flexible with your travel dates,” said Painter.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault