Marine Corps’ NC air base undergoing big expansion
MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C. — The military’s big expansion in North Carolina continues as the Marine Corps builds a $140 million mega-hangar to hold four squadrons of a revolutionary aircraft.
The Daily News of Jacksonville reports that officials at the New River Air Station are preparing to break ground on one of the Marine Corps’ largest single structures. The super hangar will house dozens of the V-22 Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft.
The base also is getting a new $14 million fitness center, athletic fields, a renovated marina, and the largest skate park in eastern North Carolina.
New River fitness director Richard Cole says skateboarding is one of the adrenaline-rush activities important to help returning war veterans step down into stateside life.
This story was written and provided by The Associated Press Wire. (Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.