NC student suspended 45 days over oregano
WAXHAW, N.C. — A 13-year-old student from Waxhaw was suspended for 45 days for bringing a bag of oregano to school and telling a classmate it was marijuana.
The boy’s parents are now threatening to sue if he isn’t immediately allowed back to school.
WSOC reported that the eighth-grader from Cuthbertson Middle School brought the oregano in at the end of January.
The school originally handed down a 10-day suspension. When the suspension ended the school added an additional 45-day suspension to be served at a special alternative school.
The student’s family lost an appeal Thursday to get him back into school and is now being represented by attorney John Whitehead with the Rutherford Institute in Virginia, WSOC reported.
“If it was marijuana? Sure. It should be dealt with seriously. I think it should be dealt with probably by the police. But this is oregano, folks! This is what you put on pizza. It was a joke,” he said.
The school said it has a zero-tolerance policy on drugs.
The teen currently won’t be allowed back in Cuthbertson until March 29.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview