Buckley Report: Growing Up on Alcatraz
The new hit Fox show “Alcatraz” has a fictional look of life on the infamous island, but what was life there really like?
In the video above, meet Don Bowden, who lived on Alcatraz while his dad worked as a prison guard there.
Alcatraz was taken over from the Army in 1934 and was made into a federal prison. It closed in June 1963 because it was at least three times more expensive to operate than other prisons. It is now run as a national park.
You can visit the Alcatraz Alumni Association by going to alcatrazalumni.org.
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train