Buckley Report: Growing Up on Alcatraz
The new hit Fox show “Alcatraz” has a fictional look of life on the infamous island, but what was life there really like?
In the video above, meet Don Bowden, who lived on Alcatraz while his dad worked as a prison guard there.
Alcatraz was taken over from the Army in 1934 and was made into a federal prison. It closed in June 1963 because it was at least three times more expensive to operate than other prisons. It is now run as a national park.
You can visit the Alcatraz Alumni Association by going to alcatrazalumni.org.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault