Man Charged with Murder 17 Years After Asheboro Shooting
Asheboro police say a man has been charged with murder 17 years after a man was found shot to death in an Asheboro home.
Records show 38-year-old Sergio Pelayo Rios was being held Sunday at the Randolph County jail.
The Courier-Tribune of Asheboro reports that police found the body of Jacinto L. Zarate in 1994. He had been shot with an AK-47 rifle.
Witnesses said they saw three men including Rios flee the scene.
Two of the men were arrested, but Rios was never found.
Last week, Asheboro police say they learned that Rios was living in Columbus County. He was on probation for a DWI charge when his probation officer saw similarities between his name and the 1994 warrant.
It wasn’t known if Rios had an attorney.
Information from: The Courier-Tribune, http://www.courier-tribune.com
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview